Just getting a small business up and running means long hours and extended work weeks. But when legal issues loom, an owner may find he's out of time, energy and ideas. The articles in this section are designed to provide the answers to dozens of questions - from how to find the right attorney, to the legalities of business structure, employment regulation and asset protection.
- How a Lawyer Can Help Your Business - Small business owners should find a lawyer they like and trust and make that lawyer a part of their business team.
- How Legal Fees Work - There are different types of fee schedules, hourly, flat or fixed, contingency and blended fees. Be sure to know which type you are paying.
Setting Up a Business
- Choosing the Right Business Structure - A business's structure can affect everything from the way it is managed to the liability exposure its owners face.
Employment Law, Discrimination, and Dispute Resolution
- Employment Laws that Apply to Your Business - Hiring employees also means that you are responsible for following state and federal employment laws.
- Avoiding Employment Discrimination and Encouraging Diversity - Avoid employment discrimination and encourage a diversified company.
- Ways to Avoid or Minimize Employee Lawsuits - Take some simple steps to avoid or minimize an employee lawsuit.